patroncheckr is a small web app that allows a CUNY campus library to determine whether a patron has the appropriate access privileges to enter the library based on patron’s status in the Ex Libris Aleph ILS. The app accepts a barcode as input. It returns one of the following color-coordinated responses: green for "Go", yellow for "Yield", and red for "Stop".
• Full library access granted. Hurray!
• Patron should visit the Circulation Desk to discuss fines on the account.
• Patron should visit the Circulation Desk -- account expired on [DATE].
• Patron from [LIBRARY] does not have visitation or borrowing privileges at this library. Access is denied.
• Barcode does not exist in the database. Please see your library's Circulation Desk.
The following variables are available for potential inclusion in the above messages:
• Patron’s barcode
• Patron’s Aleph expiry date
• Patron’s borrower status
• Patron’s debit/credit status
• Patron’s home library
• This library (determined by IP)
It may be possible to retrieve more information about the patron.
To see this app in action, point your browser to http://ols.cuny.edu/checkr/ and enter an Aleph barcode. Click “Check” and observe what happens.
29999000291443 (Green – access granted)
29999000291450 (Red, not in system, access denied)
29999000291435 (Red, in the system but doesn’t have access to libraries outside of CSI – access denied at non-CSI library)
29999000291427 (Yellow, account expired – patron should go to the circulation desk for more info)
29999000291419 (Yellow, owe library fines – patron should go to the circulation desk to discuss fines)